Start a new topic
Solved

Instant tracking not working on non AR Core devices (android native / SDK8)

Hi,

I've migrated our app from wikitude SDK 7.2 to 8.0 and I'm having some trouble with instant tracking.
On an ARCore enabled device (samsung S8) it's working perfectly but on another test device (ZTC Axon 7) it's no longer working.

After setting the tracking state to 'Tracking', I've noticed that onTrackingStarted and onTrackingStopped are called alternatingly when the device is moved.
It's like the tracking is in some unstable state.

I've based my code on the instant tracking example and it used to work perfectly with SDK 7.2..

Any idea as to what could be going on here?

Hi,

There was a bug in 8.0. which would explain this issue. 

You can either include the ARCore library as dependency of your app or update to SDK  8.1.

Best Regards,

Alex

Hi,

I already tried upgrading to 8.1, it seems like there is an improvement in regards to the unstable tracking, but the performance is terrible in comparison to 7.2.1

I've made 2 screen capture clips of the wikitude scene picking demo to show you the difference:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pQK57gNPb7Y" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/taJaiMKVJPc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kind regards,

Yannick

Any news on this?

Kind regards,

Yannick

Disabling SMART seems to solve the bad performance.

I still think this is buggy behaviour, since I used the isPlatformAssistedTrackingSupported callback to check for AR core support. If AR core is not supported on a phone I'd expect the same behaviour as if SMART was disabled.

Having SMART enabled even on an AR core supporting phone has too many downsides for now. Hope this will get better in future version. I'll mark this as solved for now.

Kind regards,
Yannick

Login or Signup to post a comment