Start a new topic

Instant Tracking accuracy issue - Android Native SDK

Hello Wikitude Team !

We are working for an internal project for Bureau Veritas France.

Our goal is to make an Android application to make some sticky notes in an industrial environment.

Our main constraint is that we need to work in an asynchronous mode.  So we have to be able to save the scene on the device to load it later on the same device or another one.

We started development two weeks ago using your Android native API. After build the structure of the app we are encountering our first issues and difficulties :

- We have to draw our tag/notes in native OpenGL, it's not really friendly for us.

- We choose to use Instant tracking, so we have to go through two steps : Initialisation and Tracking that need an user interaction. For us it is not really efficient.

- We base our development on Instant tracking Wikitude exemples. Despite this, the outcome is not what we expected, tag localisation is not accurate, the scene disappears when we move just a bit.

- Moreover, when we want add a marker on a wall, this one appears very small ( perhaps because interpreted far of me). However the plane detection is enabled but it seems to be not very accurate.

The good point is that when we save a scene (locally, in the device hard memory) and load it later, the anchors (Tags)  appear  at nearly the same place.

Can you give us some advices to help us ? We have a lot of pressure on this project, so we need good results. Be sure that if we can get good results, we will get licences for several years.

To illustrate what we are looking to do, here is a video that I found on YouTube : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJZPpha6RA

Currently, there is our result : (sorry for the long video)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/117DNsd1khTRu0KNCqPG42kUVylPVHFdY/view?usp=sharing

Can you confirm that Instant Tracking is the good choice for our project ?

Any advice will be welcome :)

Thanks a lot 

1 Comment

Good morning Julien,

• I'm afraid there's no other way to achieve this than using OpenGL in your case. We do offer a JavaScript SDK that has predefined augmentations built-in, but it does not support plane detection, which you seen to require.
  • You only need to go through the initialization stage the very first time, when initially saving your scene. When re-loading an already saved scene, you forego that step. But that's just the way instant tracking works, you do need explicit user interaction to start the tracking. Your only alternative is to use object tracking instead (if your environment is pre-defined), which is an option worth exploring. I could image performing better than instant tracking.
  • The tracking might be unstable because your test environment is very hard to track (big uniformly colored areas). The tracking algorithm is based on feature points, which require irregularities in the surfaces.
  • Maybe the plane you were hit-testing against was incorrectly placed due to the difficult tracking environment.

- Daniel

Login or Signup to post a comment