Start a new topic

Wikitude 8.5 Fatal Camerta Error on Nokia 6.1

When deploing our App with Wikitude 8.5 and Unity 2018.4.2f1 (though older versions of Unity produce the same results) on a Nokia 6.1 (Android version 9), we get the following error from Unity:

"ERROR_CAMERA_DEVICE received, indicating that the camera device has encountered a fatal error." (I'll add the complete Android Error Log ASAP)

The camera image is black and the app crashes after a few seconds.

The same does not happen if we deploy the exactly same app with Wikitude 8.2.

Everything works just fine with that version of Wikitude. It also works fine with Wikitude 8.5 on a Nokia 7.1.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Android Log:

txt

Hi, 

Thank you for reporting this issue to us. 

Are you able to reproduce this issue with our sample project, or only with your project? If it's reproducible with our project, in which of the samples is this happening?

Best regards,

Alexandru

Hi,

I get the same error with all of the "Image Tracking" and "Object Tracking" Samples as well as in "Camera Settings", though it does not crash like our app does. In Camera Settings it tells me there was an error with the Camera API2 and asks me if I want to restart with the old API, which than works.

Hi,

It would seem that the Camera2 implementation on this device may have some issues. In the WikitudeCamera inspector, you can choose to disable the Camera2 API. Can you please try this and check again if you're experiencing the same issues?

Thank you,

Alexandru

If I disable Camera2 API, the Kamera works, but the App becomes unbearably slow. Furthermore, the App worked just fine with Camera2 API and Wikitude 8.2 on the exact same device.

Hi,

are you looking into this?

We can't afford to go back to a previous Wikitude Version as improvements to Image Regocnition realy boosted our apps usability (huge cudos on that part btw.!) but we of course want to support a broad range of devices.

Hi, 

I apologize for the late reply. Can you please try to reproduce the issue with the Native SDK sample app? Since we don't have this particular model in the office, this will help us narrow down where the issue is coming from.

Thank you,

Alexandru

With the native SDK I get this issue with "Image Tracking -> Simple/Mulitple Targets" (but not with "Extended Tracking"), both "Object Tracking" samples, "Plugins -> Simple Custom Camera" and "Camera Control -> Camera Settings".

Also, if I try to switch to the old API in the "Camera Settings" sample, it says "Camera could not be started" and the App crashes.

Hi, 

Thank you very much for trying it out. I'm creating a ticket for our Android team, since it doesn't seem to be Unity related and we'll get back to you as soon as we have some news.

Best regards,

Alexandru

Hi,

any news regarding my issue? We would like to release a new version of our app soon and it would be awesome if that version could include a fix for that issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, 

I apologize for the late reply. With release 8.3, we introduced an option to specify the Camera2 support level. By default it uses Full, but it might be that for this device, only Legacy support level is available. I'm not sure if this would work, but somewhere in an Awake method can you please try the following snippet?

void Awake() {
    var wikitudeCamera = FindObjectOfType<WikitudeCamera>();
    wikitudeCamera.Camera2SupportLevel = Camera2SupportLevel.Legacy;
}

At any rate, we're still looking for other potential issues that might cause this crash.

Thank you,

Alexandru

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

With that code snippet, we still get a fatal camera error and no camera image shown in the app, BUT the App does not crash like it did before.

Hi, 

Thank you very much for trying it so quickly. Have you tried different camera resolutions, or are you always using AUTO? From what we're seeing, it might be that this device has an issue with the resolution we're picking automatically.

Thank you,

Alexandru

Hi

up until now we only used AUTO. We just tried the other options and with "SD" it acutaly works - no other option does, though. 

Is there a quick fix/workaround for wikitude to actualy chose the right option on AUTO?

Just using SD by default does not sound like a good option.

Login or Signup to post a comment