Start a new topic

Instant Tracking - JS API for Android - Keep tracking real world when moving

I'm currently developing an AR feature for the app I'm working in, and looking through the example app it seems that using "3d model on plane" would do the trick.

The problem im having with this, is that i don't want to "set" an area for tracking, i want to keep tracking the real world as the user moves, and let the user add objects (custom 3d models) by tapping the screen. 

In this example, I "set" the area when we "start tracking" and we can add objects, but if we turn around (pointing the devices oposite to the "setted" area), this new area is not being tracked and if we tap the screen to add a new object, it will be added to the original tracking area.

Is this possible?

Can anyone give me some guidelines?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sebastian,

If I understand correctly you wish to track your surrounding and you're testing our Instant Tracking feature. If I understand this correctly 

In this example, I "set" the area when we "start tracking" and we can  add objects, but if we turn around (pointing the devices oposite to the  "setted" area), this new area is not being tracked and if we tap the  screen to add a new object, it will be added to the original tracking  area.

then this is working - you can scan the area, turn around and place an object and the placed object is sticking to the place you put it to.

If I missunderstood, please provide further details on your exact use case. 

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Exaclty, I want to keep track of my surrounding and place objects in any direction (360º).

For example: 

- Start the app, and start "Instant Tracking - 3d Model on Plane".

- Start tracking in any direction and place an object (it will appear, and it will stick to that position).

- Turn around (180º) and try to place an other object (it won't appear).

- Turn around again (180º - back to the original starting track area) and you will see 2 objects (the one you placed at the beginning, correctly stickying to where you put it, and the second object you tried to add when you turned around).

I don't want this second object to be added on the "first tracking area", i want it to stick right behind me.

I tested "Instant Tracking - 3d Model in Plane", "Instant Tracking - Interactivity" and "Instant Tracking - Scene Interaction", and in all 3 examples i get the same result.

Im working on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 6.0.1 - API 23), and the examples shows the message "Running without platform assisted tracking (ARKit or ARCore). I'm not sure if this could be the problem, but i think i should have mentioned it before.

Thanks again for you help, and I'm sorry if i wasn't clear earlier.

Greetings,

Sebastian

Login or Signup to post a comment