Start a new topic

SDK 8.1 & 8.2 : Weird image input on the OnePlus One

Hi Wikitude,

Since the SDK 8.1 we feel that some things have changed with the camera input on Android.

In particular we have this problem on a OnePlus One (running Android 6.0.1), the image is deformed.

First this is the sample app with SDK 8.0 :

And with the SDK 8.2 (it is the same with SDK 8.1) :

Also it is interesting to see that the deformation vary depending on the camera orientation, as shown on this video capture :

https://youtu.be/ALrinw2f0g4

This deformation prevents any targets to be recognized on this phone.

Please feel free to ask any questions about this problem.

Hope you can fix it soon,

Amaury.

Hi Wikitude,

Did you have time to check this bug ? Did you change anything about video input on Android between SDK 8.0 and SDK 8.1 ? 

We also notice some differences on image quality with other Android devices.

Have a good week, 

Amaury.

Hi Amaury,

just to clarify some things, you talk about implementing a custom camera using our CameraFrameInputPluginModule and not about letting the SDK render into a offscreen texture, right? The images you captured are coming from our unmodified example app or your own implementation of a CameraFrameInputPluginModule?

Looks a little bit like the field of view is not set correctly. Also because it changes with orientation changes.

Best regards,
Andreas Schacherbauer

Hi and thanks for your answer,

I am using an untouched wikitude-cordova-plugin-samples. I am not trying to do anything particular here, just launching the plugin sample app with one of your very basic default example.

I thought was not possible to play with CameraFrameInputPluginModule with Cordova ? Is it ?

Have a good day,

Amaury.

Hi Amaury,

Now I understood, sorry. I was always under the impression that you run a CameraFrameInputPluginModule. I also didn't recognize that you use Cordova.

Theoretically you can use Wikitude SDK Plugins in Cordova, it's just not that simple to demonstrate/distribute in a generic Cordova environment, that's why we don't demonstrate it.

To continue on the bug hunt here: As we don't have this very specific device and can't reproduce it with any of our Android devices, could you please run our Native API example app (SDK version 8.2) on the very same device? The camera implementations are different for those two products and we would like to know how the new one in the Native API SDK behaves. In case it's working fine in the Native API SDK example app, please wait for our upcoming release that unifies our camera implementations for all products. If that's not the case, we would send you a special build with some logging enabled so that we can remote debug the issue.

Best regards,
Andreas Schacherbauer

Hi Andreas,

I just tested my device with the Android Native API example app and I face the same problem, the camera input is deformed and target images are not recognized.

Again this bug appeared with SDK 8.1. Tell me if you want me to run some debug version of your app on this device.

Have a good day,

Amaury.

Hi Andreas, 

Still waiting for this debuging version.

Have a good day,

Amaury.

Hi Amaury,

my apologies for the delay. I won't be able to create the package today either, I'm afraid. I've put it on my "first things after Christmas"-TODO list, so I'll send you the download link on the 27th.

- Daniel

Hi Amaury,

again, my apologies for the long delay. Here is the custom build that includes logging. The log uses the tag "WIKITUDE_DEBUGGING". I've chosen to create a native build. It will build out of the box in Android Studio. Just run any sample (excluding input plugins) to receive the log.

- Daniel

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a similar issue here:

A customer of mine uses Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) tablets. After updating the tablet to the latest software (Android 7.0.0 to 8.1.0) we have the problem of deformed image as well which prevents the AR content from being recognized (Image Target). If I distort the target image in a similar way, it is being recognized.

I've reproduced the scenario myself by testing on the exact same tablet that I have. Here are my findings that hold for both my own Cordova app as well as for the unmodified  wikitude-cordova-plugin-samples app.

Tablet without update (Android 7.0.0) - SDK 8.1.0 --> No deformed camera view.

Tablet with update (Android 8.1.0) - SDK 8.1.0 --> Deformed camera view.

Tablet with update (Android 8.2.0) - SDK 8.2.0 --> Deformed camera view.

As a next try I will downgrade to 8.0.0 to see if anything changes. Will report my findings here.

Device is 32-bits and therefore only supports low-res camera. 

It looks like the device Amaury is using also uses low-res images. Could there be something there?

We have a client that has over 150 of these Tablets that are now working with AR anymore as a result of this so any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Mark

Just finished testing the SDK 8.0.0 version - and I can confirm it works normally (as expected).

So the outcome of my tests is as follows:

Tablet without update (Android 7.0.0) - SDK 8.1.0 --> No deformed camera view.

Tablet with update (Android 8.1.0) - SDK 8.1.0 --> Deformed camera view.

Tablet with update (Android 8.1.0) - SDK 8.2.0 --> Deformed camera view.

Tablet with update (Android 8.1.0) - SDK 8.0.0 --> No deformed camera view.

I guess something was introduced in the Wikitude SDK 8.1.0 that causes this behaviour.

Best,

Mark

1 person likes this

Hi Daniel,

I run your special version of the Native Android Example app. The distortion is still present on this version.

Attached to this message you'll find the content of the console output when trying to run the image target example for few seconds. I also attached the "logcat" output.

Hope this can help,

Amaury.

txt
txt

Any update or findings on this issue?

We are still investigating the issue and couldn't reproduce the behaviour on any of our devices in the office - we are purchasing a OnePlus One, so we finally can reproduce the error. Hope to have updates soon.

Cheers

Phil

Hey Phil, Thanks for the update. BTW, A Samsung Galaxy A 10.1 (2016) tablet might be easier to get your hands on if Oneplus One proves hard to get. Mark
Login or Signup to post a comment