Start a new topic

Shaking camera/Child object of Trackable in Unity

Hello,

I am new in Unity/Wikitude and try to attach a label/3D-object to an Object Target created in Wikitude Studio (based on pictures, not on video).

1. When I attach a label to the Object Target in Wikitude Studio, everything works excellent, no label shaking, the label sticks correctly to the Object Target.

2. When I try the same in Unity, the Text/3D-object that sticks to the Object Target shakes like crazy.

Under Unity I've tried the following:

- to attach a Text Mesh as a child of Trackable --> shaking

- to create a 3D object (e.g. a Sphere) as a child of Trackable --> then to create a separate UI text that I linked to the sphere with a simple script --> shaking

- to attach an UI text as a child of Trackable --> shaking

In all these attempts I attached also the C# script named "Smooth Follow" to the Wikitude Camera, but useless. The "Transform" parameters of the camera are changing like crazy during pointing the phone to the phisical target, even if I fix the phone on the table (see attached video).

I also tried different settings for the Wikitude Camera, like e.g. different field of views, different clipping panes, I played with the camera distance and rotation, but useless.

I activated also the digital stabilizer of my Samsung Note 8 phone, useless.

Question: I suppose that the Object Target quality is quite good, as long as in Wikitude Studio the recognition happens instantly and the label sticks excellent to the object target.

What is the solution for that?

Thank you in advance for your support!

Hi,

Could you please send over the images of the object you wish to track and that you used for the creation of the target?

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Please find attached the original images (in the original size) used to create the target in Wikitude.

To mention that I couldn't attach all the images but only 10 out of 13 images, as the attachments size of the post doesn't allow more.

I used as you can see 2 background types in order to make the object building more accurate.

I'm looking forward to your answer!

Best regards,

Catalin

Hi again,

As a comparison to the shaking camera in Unity (the video from my first post), you can find a video capture from my phone tracking the Object Target from within Wikitude Studio. It's perfect! No shaking camera, the label and arrow stick perfectly to the Object Target!

Thank you again,

Catalin

mp4

..and the same Object Target tracking from within Unity, with the phone fixed on the table.

Regards,

Catalin

mp4

Update: I tried in Unity to attach a label to an Image Target created in Wikitude (3*** image). The camera/label doesn't shake anymore. The problem is that the label doesn't stick to the image, but this is another story, which I will adress later.

I don't know if the information in my update helps in solving the tracking of the Object Target.

Thank you and I'm looking forward to a solution.

Catalin

Hi,

Have you also tried building the Unity project to a device? The performance might be better there. If that still doesn't solve the issue, can you please send us your project, so that we can test it locally?

Thank you,
Alexandru

Hi Alexandru,

Please have a look at the attached video of the built Unity project. It has the same issues:

-   shaking camera/label attached to the object + 

-   label doesn't stick to the object (in Wikitude Studio it does perfectly).

Please instruct me how to send you the whole project. As I mentioned in the beginning, I'm new here and have no ideea how and where to send 460 MB of project.

Thank you and I'm waiting for your instructions.

Best regards,

Catalin

mp4

Hi Alexandru,

One more comment to my previous post:

In the attached video of the built Unity project, I redone the Object Target in Wikitude according to the best practices on your website:

- I cropped the pictures the wto file is based on

- I increased the contrast and sharpness

- I resized them to fit btw 500 and 1000 pxl

- I checked each of them in the Image Targets and all of them got 3*

Then I issued a new wto. file that I imported to the Unity project.

I just wanted to make sure that the Object Target quality is not the reason.

Thank you and I'm waiting for instructions.

Greetings,

Catalin

Hi, 

Just sending the .wto file should be enough for now. 

As for sending full projects, you can use any file sharing service you prefer.

Best regards,

Alexandru

Hi,

Please find attached all the .wto files I used as Object Target. With all of them the problem was the same.

Thanks,

Catalin

wto
wto
wto

Hi, 

I apologize for the late reply.

I tried using the first map in the sample project, but I didn't see as much shaking as there was in the video.

Do you have any scaling in the ObjectTracker or ObjectTrackable? Is the augmentation significantly far away from the tracked object? From the video it's not clear if the label is right on the object, or far behind it. Could you please place the augmentation close to the origin and see if the shaking is reduced?

If the problem still persists, please send us the project, or a smaller version of it that still reproduces the issue, though some file-sharing service and we'll have a closer look at it.

Thank you,

Alexandru

Hi Catalin,

Have you resolved the problem? I have the same problem and my 3D models shake in the screen ... Can you share with me any solution?

Thanks in advance

Dear Lelyla,

Unfortunately not, I haven't solved the problem. I gave up the project! Sorry.

1 person likes this

Hi Lelyla,

Could you please share further details on the exact behavior (e.g. a video showing the shaking) and details which SDK version you're working with, so we can check it internally?

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Login or Signup to post a comment