Start a new topic

Colors of object not loaded in 3D encoder

Hello all together,

I have a problem concerning the 3D encoder. I created three keyboards in Blender, one normal, one in red and one in green. Then I wanted to convert them in the 3D encoder. My problem is that some of the keys stay white although I set a color in Blender. 

I double checked the fbx file but in the file itself the colors are connected to the model. I even downloaded the Autodesk FBX Reviewer and everything is fine. Maybe you can have a look at it and help me.

Attached you can find the screenshots how it looks like and the fbx file.

Thanks in advance to all who have a look at it.

fbx

Hi,

your model looking different in the FBX Reviewer and the Wikitude 3D Encoder means this is a defect that requires internal fixing. The FBX Reviewer is our gold standard for that.

Having said that, there might be something you can do to work around this issue on your side.

Looking at your FBX file, I noticed that alle the piano keys that remain white have a LayerElementColor block (e.g. C1).

LayerElementColor: 0 {
    Version: 101
    Name: "Col"
    MappingInformationType: "ByPolygonVertex"
    ReferenceInformationType: "IndexToDirect"
    Colors: 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1
    ColorIndex: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
}

The properly colored keys do not have these blocks (e.g. D1).

So, I'm assuming you could figure out a way to find out how this block of white color is represented in Blender and change/remove it.

As for the actual defect I'm afraid I can't promise a fix anytime soon. While the encoder definitely needs some work, I believe we have more severe issues that would take precedence over this one.

- Daniel

Hi Daniel,

thank you very much for the analysis. As we continued our development while waiting for help we had to move to the binary FBX format. We havent found the option in Blender yet to remove the LayerElementColor. Do you know a way how to remove it manually from the binary file, maybe this works too?

fbx

Good morning,

I had another look at the ASCII FBX you sent and can't really figure out what's going on. I tried removing what I thought to be the offending block but that did not seem to make any difference.

As to the binary format, there no feasible way to read and edit that directly. You would need to use the Autodesk FBX SDK to do that. But since I would not know what to change anyway, that's not much of a loss.

What I can recommend you try is to combine all of your sub-meshes of the individual keys into a single keyboard mesh. That would not only be much more efficient at run-time, but might also take care of this peculiar problem in the process; or at least reveal some additional information.

Other than that I don't see any alternative to an internal investigation and fix on our side.

- Daniel

Thanks again Daniel for your analysis.

Your recommendation of combining the sub-meshes doesnt work for me. I have to animate each key and independently. If I combine the sub-meshes I cant do that anymore.

Thank you very much for you effort, I think I have to wait for the fix on your site then.

Login or Signup to post a comment