Start a new topic

Unity lightweight render pipeline incompatible with Wikitude

Hi there,

I've recently been doing some work using Unity's new(ish) Lightweight Rendering Pipeline which works to improve the visual quality of objects in scene when run on mobile technology, without negatively impacting performance beyond a reasonable level.

After running some tests*, it appears that when I'm using this pipeline, the Wikitude SDK is no longer able to display the camera render in play mode (editor testing) but can still render the digital content when a target is presented. When built to a device, there's no camera render and no content (as if the camera isn't being used at all).

I understand that this may not be supported by Wikitude currently as this particular pipeline is in preview at the minute, but I was wondering if any work is happening at your end to work it into your SDK?

* I have a project in Unity 2018.2f1 (Wikitude SDK 8) that uses standard shaders which renders as expected, and another project using the same platform and SDK using Lightweight Rendering Pipeline which does not.

Thanks,

Laurence

Hi,

I'm playing around with Shader Graph and LWRP in Unity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taMp1g1pBeE ). Now I wanted to test this in a Wikitude scene.

In my LWRP scene there's no "Clear Flags" at the Camera component at the WikitudeCamera. Therefore I've got a blue background and no camera image. Tracking etc works fine.

Using Unity 2019.2.15f1

Shader Graph 6.9.2

LWRP 6.9.2

Any idea how I can fix this? Or is LWRP (and Shader Graph) still not supported?

Thanks

Hi, 

Unfortunately, LWRP is still not supported at the moment, as it was still in preview until recently. We'll let you know when it becomes available, but it might take some time.

Best regards,

Alexandru

Hi Alexandru,

thanks for the fast reply.

To be honest, this is really disappointing. Since the new Render Pipeline and features such as Shader Graph is really important to work with. And the LWRP isn't coming as a suprise, this thread and the original request is over a year old.

I hope you get this implemented sooner than later. I'll have to look into workarounds for now...

Thanks again,
Rainer

Hi, 

Unfortunately, we don't support the Lightweight Rendering Pipeline at the moment. We did some internal testing with it as well and we hope to add support for it soon, but I can't offer you an exact release that. It will probably not happen while it is still in preview, though.

Also, please keep in mind that 2018.2 is not fully supported in Wikitude SDK 8.0.0 and there are some issues when using OpenGL ES rendering. I would recommend that you use 2018.1 until the next update is released.

Best regards,

Alexandru

Hi Alexandru,

As I thought, thanks for confirming.

Also, thanks for the tip-off re: Unity version support. Is there a launch date expectation for the next release that will contain full 2018.2 support?

Cheers,

Laurence

Hi,

There isn't an exact launch date yet that I can share, but the issues should be fixed internally and we are working hard to get it out as fast as possible.

Best regards,

Alexandru

Login or Signup to post a comment