Start a new topic

Unity Wikitude 8 for desktop UWP Tutorial

So I'm trying to build a UWP using the new Wikitude SDK but I can't find any documentation on how to get a Unity Wikitude application to build into a UWP? Can anyone please provide a mini turoial or how to get started with this?

I'm trying to create a simple AR app for a windows laptop that uses its front facing camera.

Thanks

Hi Lucas,

Yes as mentioned, we would recommend to use this feature only for image and object recognition. So image targets are working fine.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

@Nicola This wouldn't be a problem for Image targets would it?

Hi,

External cameras cannot work correctly with Instant Tracking because we cannot get any sensor information (accelerometer, gyro) from the camera, so we don’t know how the camera is oriented in space.

While the basic algorithms might still work, the initialization phase and plane orientations will be wrong or completely invalid. I would strongly recommend people not using instant tracking with external cameras, but limit it to image or object tracking. We’re sorry this was not clear from the start.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Hi Nicola.

Thanks for updating me.

I tried the new version on the UWP platform.

It opens the external camera but it doesn't track the surface.

Scene : Instant Tracking - Plane Detection.

It shows the camera feed with Trial watermark on it. and I can see the "Starting SDK" on top of the screen, and can't see the green grid plane.

Please give me detailed steps to setup the UWP platform.

Thanks.

Denis.

Hi Lucas,

We launched SDK 8.7 yesterday afternoon, which allows that external cameras can now be used in UWP devices. In general, we do not support Standalone applications in Unity at all at the moment. Only UWP.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Hi Nicola.
Wikitude will also support External cameras on Standalone (Not UWP) applications in the 8.7 Update for Unity? 

Hi Denis,

hi Clinton,

The release of SDK 8.7 is planned for the next few days. Please stay tuned.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Hi Nicola.

When can I expect the new Unity SDK that supports the external camera on the Standalone platform, not only UWP?

Hi Nicola,

Is it possible to receive a beta version of the next release (SDK 8.7) in order to test the new external camera support in our Unity dev builds?

thank you!

Hi Denis,

the next releaese (SDK 8.7) is planned for the upcoming weeks, so please stay tuned.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

@Wikitude Technical Support

When can I expect the new release that supports the external camera for UWP platform?

Hi Lucas,

We are currently testing external camera support, this feature should happen in the next release.

Greetings,
Thibault

@Wikitude Technical Support

What would be the difficulty for allowing this as an experimental feature?

Hi Jason,

For now, Unity SDK for UWP only supports devices with integrated cameras that report their location as front and back panel enclosure, our main hardware target being surface pro line of product.

As I see "C922 Pro Stream Webcam" I guess you are using an external camera, this is currently not supported.

Greetings,
Thibault

Login or Signup to post a comment