Start a new topic

Camera FPS very low

Hi, I am currently using the native api and I wanted to get a better understanding of how the sdk worked so I made a very simple app that prints a message in the logcat when an object is detected. The problem I am facing now is that the camera preview on my phone has an extremely low fps. The same thing does not happen when I run the sample app provided by Wikitude (my code is even more basic and similar to the  Internal rendering activity provided). So, I don't know how to proceed from here.

Hi,

Can you give us some more details about your Android device? 

Am I right that you use internal rendering? Because if you do and don't render augmentations, I don't see any point where you could have done something wrong. 

Am I also right that our example app on the exact same device performs better?

Could you maybe send us a video that shows the described behavior or a demo project so that we can try it out ourselves?

Best regards,
Andreas

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I am using an android device. The SDK version is 7.2.1. I am currently using the Native API and the code is almost identical to the one given in the sample. I have also have CustomRenderExtension which is almost identical to the one in the sample. In fact its even more basic because I don't even use a stroked cube so all the methods are empty except for some logcat debug messages.

I also forgot to mention that it always prints this in logcat when I start the activity containing the AR code: Skipped x frames!  The application may be doing too much work on its main thread. x is usually varying. I am not really able to understand why this is happening because its even more basic than the code in the sample and the sample runs smoothly on my phone..

Hi,

Can you please provide further details - is this happening on iOS or Android? Which SDK version are you trying with? With the Native API you'll need to take care of the rendering on your end - did you make sure that the implementation of your own rendering is performant?

If you want the Wikitude SDK to take care of the rendering of the augmentations, we recommend to check out our JS API based SDK versions or the Unity Extension.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Login or Signup to post a comment