Start a new topic
Solved

Xamarin iOS

Hello.

I am trying to use the Wikitude Xamarin SDK for iOS but could not get it to work.

The main issue seems to be that the SDK is a Xamarin component with the file extension .xam.

That was used to install components before Xamarin has been bought by Microsoft and has been integrated into Visual Studio. And before Xamarin Studio on Mac has been replaced by Visual Studio for mac.

So i could not add the sdk directly. Not on Windows and not on Mac.

I also tried to unzip the content of the .xam File and add the ios dll to the Project as a reference, but that did now word either because the dll has a yellow exclamation mark on it, indicating that something is wrong with ist and the "using Wikitude.Architect;" can not resolve the Wikitude namespace.

I tried nuget but Wikitude but no results for "Wikitude" on nuget.

I tried to install it as an old Xamarin component by creating a Xamarin account but the old Xamarin Service seems to not exist anymore because I get an Error 503 from visual studio when trying to log in to the Xamarin Components Manager.

I also tried the Example project inside the .xam archive but it cannot run because it is 32bit.

Any hints on if and how it works on current environments?

Best regards,
Wilhelm

Hi Wilhelm,

With our latest release this week, we also provide NuGet packages for Xamarin. Unfortunately they are not available from our download page at the moment so here are download links for iOS and Android.

You should be able to install them from your local file system if you define a new, 'local' NuGet source.

Since they are new, please let me know if you experience any problems with them.

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas

Thank you for your answer.

I did use the iOS Nuget from a local source on Windows and Mac OS.
On both Systems, I got the error:
"Package 'com.wikitude.xamarin.component 7.2.0' is not found in the following primary source(s): 'my_colal_path'. Please verify all your online package sources are available (OR) package id, version are specified correctly."

On Mac OS, the SDK was not added to my project but on Windows it did, dispite the error message.
And on Windows I added a WTArchitectView and could run the App and see that view (I colored it yellow just to test it).
So I assume that the SDK works on my system now. At least on Windows Visual Studio.

But I still would like to make it work on Mac OS and avoid the error message that I am getting trying to add the nuget package.

There is unfortunately another problem:
The iOS Wikitude.SDK.dll is huge! It is 926 MB.
I assume that the app will be shipped with that dll (because that is how dlls work, as far as I know. They are used at runtime). And it would make the app huge for no appearant reason for the consumer.
Why is the dll so huge compared to the 16 MB for Android?
And can it be reduced or can you provide a smaller version?

Best regards,

Wilhelm

1 person likes this

NuGet ios happend error:

"Package com.wikitude.xamarin.component 7.2.0 is not compatible with xamarinios10 (Xamarin.iOS,Version=v1.0). Package com.wikitude.xamarin.component 7.2.0 supports: monoandroid80 (MonoAndroid,Version=v8.0)"

Hi Wilhelm,

The final link step should remove all unnecessary symbols and architectures, leading to a much more expected app size.

But we keep investigating how much we can remove before building the .nupkg.

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andy,

Do you have the same behavior with this package?

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas

After deploying the app on a device, I looked in the settings and the app size reported by iOS was less than 100MB. But I did not know if this was caused by compression or not.

It is good to know that the linker should pick only the necessary symbols and architectures. And it seems to work, judging by the final app size on the device.

Best regards,

Wilhelm

Login or Signup to post a comment