Start a new topic
Solved

How to tell if ARKit is in use

Is there a way in the Wikitude 7.1 Javascript Beta to find out at runtime if ARKit is being used ? 

I understand we can allow ARKit to be used by adding the 

arKitCoreEnabled: true

parameter to our InstantTracker initialization. I'm interested in determining at runtime whether its actually being used

This is important because it looks like some aspects of the experience (initial scale, rotation) are different under ARKit vs Wikitude's markerless tracking so we may want to tweak scale / rotation values (as well as error handling) when the runtime has selected ARKit based markerless tracking

2 people have this problem

Hi David,

glad to hear that our improvements are working for you.

The AR.hardware.arKitCore.deviceSupported property is what you are looking for. Note that ARKit is now enabled by default.

- Daniel

1 person likes this

Hi David,

the rotational offset has been fixed. The tracking pose of Wikitude's instant tracking and the ARKit instant tracking should now coincide, given that the device height is properly set for Wikitude's algorithms.

- Daniel

1 person likes this

Hi David,

we're planning to release an updated ARKit pre-release version very soon.

There also is now a function to query whether ARKit is supported on the current device or not should you still require to differentiate for some reason.

- Daniel

1 person likes this

Good morning David,

currently there is no such callback, we've only added the bare necessities to the interface for now. I can, of course, understand this information to be valuable.

You could, for now, query this information yourself in Objective C and pass it into JavaScript. With arKitCoreEnabled set to true, ARKit will be used on all devices that support it (A9, A10, A11 processors) running iOS11.

With the device height set correctly, Wikitude's algorithm should yield a very similar scale. There is, however, as you have found out, a rotational offset as well. This offset will be corrected in the final version of the ARKit implementation. That is something we have on our list, but simply have not gotten around to do yet.

- Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The model scales are rotations are looking very stable between runs and consistent in my testing between the ARKit and non ARKit versions with preview 2! 

What is the new API function to tell if ARKit is in use ?

Thanks

-Dave

That's fantastic news! Do all these fixes / improvements I'm reading about this morning mean an update to the Wikitude public beta will be released soon ?

Thanks!

-Dave

Login or Signup to post a comment