Start a new topic

Wikitude, ODG R-7 and vehicles

Hi,

I am currently investigating the possibility of using the ODG R-7 glasses inside vehicles. It would be nice to be able to use Wikitude for AR applications in this use case as well. However, acceleration from the vehicle affects the sensor readings of the glasses. Therefore, sensor values from the device might falsely indicate that the user has moved their head even though the movement that was sensed was due to the vehicle moving. Therefore, it would be nice to have a way to somehow modify the sensor values that Wikitude uses - mainly the type_rotation_vector values for orientation.

For example, a user could utilize sensor data from a vehicle with sensor data from the glasses to get a more accurate estimate of how the glasses, not the vehicle, have been rotated and then, feed this data to Wikitude. 

So in short, some insertMyOwnRotationVectorData-function would be useful. Perhaps this and/or other sensor related functions could be considered to enable using the SDK in more diverse situations. Thank you.

Hi Janna, 

thank you for your suggestion, we will try to include it in an upcoming release. 

Aside from the device rotation data, is there anything else that you think would be a good addition to the API in regards to sensors?

Best Regards,

Alex

Hi! 

Thank you so much for being interested in adding this feature! 

In addition to the rotation vector, I would add similar functions for other sensors to allow more flexibility - if the sensor data from those sensors is used in your calculations. So that list would include the accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer. Being able to insert the rotation matrix data calculated from the rotation vector could also be useful. 

I'll keep thinking about this and let you know if there are more ideas!

Additional idea: being able to insert orientation data (azimuth, roll, pitch for example) to the SDK could be a useful feature as well.

Login or Signup to post a comment