Start a new topic

PhoneGap & Wikitude - AR not working anymore.

My strange issue with Wikitude and Phonegap

After being approached by a client who wanted to make an AR App, I did some research online, and decided to work with PhoneGap, as I am comfortable with html, JS and CSS.

PhoneGap have two different systems that you can use - their CLI or the GUI ( Graphic User Interface / the Phonegap desktop app ). On the PhoneGap website, it says the following for their desktop app ....

PhoneGap Desktop is the simplest way to get started using PhoneGap. You use it to create apps, and serve those apps to connected mobile devices. It is the alternative to using the CLI, using the same libraries under the hood. So no need to memorize commands or install dependencies - those are all included when you download PhoneGap Desktop.

PhoneGap Desktop App - https://phonegap.com/products/#desktop-app-section

I decided to use this rather than the CLI. As well as the desktop app, I downloaded the Developer Mobile App, so that I could test the apps made with Phonegap on my mobile.

PhoneGap Developer Mobile App - https://phonegap.com/products/#mobile-app-section

When you open up the desktop app, you can quickly create an app using one of their available samples - one of which is a Wikitude AR sample. I created this, and then I could see the AR in action, with the Robot with the glowing eyes. (Info+Video - http://docs.phonegap.com/tutorials/develop/wikitude/ )

This worked perfectly, and then I was able to replace the existing Wikitude files for this demo, with ones from the samples that are available on Github. By simply replacing the files with those in the samples, I was able to make samples of the 3d models, image recognition, POIS, etc. Everything was working perfectly.

Then last Friday, when I opened up the Phonegap developer app on my mobile ( iPhone 6 ) - all of the wikitude AR pages no longer worked, and a popup appeared with the message "Loading AR web view failed: Frame load interrupted". This message appeared when I tried to open all of my sample pages whereas the day before, everything was working fine.

I had not made any changes to the code, had not updated or changed anything at all. I even opened the PhoneGap desktop app and created a 2nd version of the Wikitude AR Sample ( the robot one ) - but this time, it failed to work, and gave the same error message.

Today, I have got 3 people to download the PhoneGap desktop app and mobile app, and try to create the Wikitude sample. All three of them were able to do this, but when they opened the Wikitude sample, everyone saw the same error message. So I am pretty sure that I am not seeing this because of something I have done with the code.

Another thing that is different is that prior to Friday, the screen for the AR had the word "TRIAL" watermarked across it - and a small Wikitude logo in the bottom left. Now, the window is show the words "LICENSE KEY MISSING" rather than "TRIAL" and the Wikitude logo is larger, and also has the text "Powered by Wikitude" - which was not there previously.

In the PhoneGap desktop and mobile apps, all the other sample apps which are NOT AR/Wikitude related are all working perfectly as before. The only thing that is no longer working are the Wikitude/AR pages.

Has anyone else got this problem when using the PhoneGap desktop app and mobile app ?? I have not tried to use the PhoneGAP CLI, as I was initially having problems trying to install it all, so I do not know is the same problem exists with that. But ever since Friday, nothing related to the Wikitude AR samples/code has worked.

The other thing that makes it slightly difficult is that all of the Wikitude documentation for working with PhoneGap all relates to the CLI and not the GUI ( desktop app ) that I am using.

I am desperate to find a solution for this, as I was previously going through the samples and understanding how everything works, and now, I can't do anything.

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks for reading.

1 person has this problem

Hi Andreas, 

I'm glad that you were also able to see the error message when using Phonegap. Just to let you know that the problem was also happening when using the PhoneGap CLI, as well as the desktop app.

Hopefully this issue caAn be resolved, as I am sure a lot of people would like to use the Wikitude plugin and work with Phonegap.

Thanks

Hi Andreas

Can you please give me a hint where the log file should be stored.

I couldn't find it in app folder neither in the console.app...

Thanks,
Peter

Hi again Andreas

Just wondering if you have any update on this ?? Have PhoneGap been made aware of this issue ?? Do you know if/when they plan to resolve it ??

Thank you

Hi Peter,

The log is not stored as a file but shown in the Xcode Console when running the app. I assume that you launch your application through Xcode?!

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Alex,

I only see the alert when using the PhoneGap Desktop App, not the CLI (as shown in the video posted earlier).

You mentioned previously that it stopped working suddenly and with that, also the watermark changed. Could it be that a PhoneGap Mobile App update was installed on the device?

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Do you mean that when you use the PhoneGAP CLI instead of their desktop app, you can properly see your app working in the PhoneGap Mobile App ?? 

Thanks

Alex

...so I'm not crazy after all.

Hi, I got the same problem. My AR project stopped working on iOS, and even the phoneGap+Wikitude sample no longer works. Exactly same issue as described at the top of this thread. Everything was working fine a few weeks ago, than back after a short break, there's no way to make it work: "Loading AR web view failed: Frame load interrupted".

A fix would be appreciated.
Frank

Hi Alex,

When I'm using the CLI, I'm not using the Desktop App at all. I only do what is shown in the video.

Best regards,

Andreas

I posted about this issue at github over a week ago, and a few hours earlier, I got a message back that said a fix for the developer app should be out in around 3 days time.

https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-app-desktop/issues/854

Hopefully once that update is released, then we will be able to continue using the PhoneGap desktop app/CLI and the mobile app to test it on.

That sounds like very good news!

The app has now been updated and finally, the Wikitude AR plugin is now working again !!

Hi Andreas,

Now PhoneGap is working (I use the trial key) but when I build the apk & do the actual installation I get the exact same message (background is ok now - displaying TRIAL).

The only difference is that now it looks in my apps path instead of com.adobe.phonegap.app

Kind Regards,

Niholas.

Login or Signup to post a comment