We are using Wikitude version 6 and randomly upon recognizing an object and displaying a 3D model we get a black oval on the screen over the top of the 3D model. We've attached a screenshot of what we are using. Once you get the black oval it will continue to display for objects recognized until you close Wikitude and go back into Wikitude. It doesn't require closing the app entirely, just Wikitude. Any ideas on what needs to be done to solve the problem?
We are actually not seeing the same type of issue on version 7. However, our recognition is significantly worse on version 7 than it is on version 6. So much worse that version 7 isn't usable for us. Any ideas what the difference could be between version 6 and version 7 with the recognition? Is there any way to get version 7 to recognize as well as version 6?
Good morning Heather,
the 'black oval' is a problem we lovingly call the 'disco egg' problem, sometimes 'disco bowtie', in the development team. It occurs when OpenGL objects have been mishandled in some way (not re-created when context switching, rendering non-initialised buffers, etc.). We have fixed a couple of these recently, but it seems SDK7 is working for your use-case already anyway. I don't think there is anything you can do to fix this issue on your side, at least not reliably. This requires fixing within the SDK.
May I ask what kind of tracking you are doing, exactly? I would not expect the tracking of the SDK6 to be superior to the tracking of the SDK7, quite the opposite actually.
It was fast and easy to recognize images with wikitude SDK 6, it became slowly and hard when we change to SDK 7.1. Our recognition is significantly worse on version 7.1 than it is on version 6. So much worse that version 7 isn't usable for us. Any ideas what the difference could be between version 6 and version 7 with the recognition? Is there any way to get version 7 to recognize as well as version 6?
I would not expect the SDK 7.1 release to be inferior in terms of tracking performance or computational performance. We do test our releases quite extensively and I think this should definitely have showed up. I'm also not aware of any similar reports.
May I ask which device(s) you are experiencing this on?
Also, have you tried the SDK 7.0 release by any chance? Or did you go straight to 7.1 from 6?
I wanted to chime in about our experience. We are seeing drastically worse results on the 7.0/7.1 release as well. We finally got someone at Wikitude to tell us that they knew the recognition was lower, but it was done on purpose because there are less false positives. Essentially, the recognition is so poor on version 7 that it is unusable for us. We are seeing it on both Android and iOS devices of many different kinds. We are currently still trying to make version 6.0 work, but are running into other things that can't be solved on version 6.
Thank you for your quick response.
We moved our SDK version from 6.1 to 7.1 directly, our devices are OPPO, Huawei, with the same devices, the upgrade experience is obviously different. Picture recognition function is basic function and very important, compared with SDK 6.1, user AR experience drops very clearly. Maybe the identification error with SDK 7.1 is reduced, but the user experience is also greatly reduced. we moved back to SDK 6.1 now and unable to accept user experience with SDK 7.
Its easy to find the performance differences between SDK 6.1 & SDK 7.1.
If you have the opportunity to try out the picture I gave (rmb-100.jpeg) and the wtc file (rmb-100-v5.wtc from target Mangement which quality with 2 stars, version 5). Using the SDK 6.1 Image Recognition and SDK 7.1 Image Recognition. Look at their performance differences.
Our use case is for normal users to take any photo at anywhere to embed a virtual object, and let others find it. Not too hard to find it with SDK 6.1, but now to hard to find use SDK 7.1.
Thank you for listening to my nagging.
Our developing environment is Android studio (2.3.3) + Window 7.
Any more info please let me know if you need.
It is embarrassing to take video for us because of software tools and how to describe the question in Chinese (Poor oral English). Our problem is not the picture can not be identified, the picture is recognizable, but the speed of recognition is noticeably slow with new version. SDK 7.1 recognition speed is significantly behind the SDK 6.1.
We downloaded SDK Examples (SDK 6.1& SDK 7.1) from github, use the same rmb-100-v5.wtc file, put it under the asset \ samples \ 01_Image $ Recognition_1_Image $ On $ Target \ assets directory, and then modify the recognition object in this example. And then use SDKExamples 6.1 and SDKExamples 7.1 for comparison, it is easy to find the picture recognition performance changes.
We have just carried out the experiment, the problem is still very obvious, we are not only one person here to find this problem, three more persons have found the same problem.
We sincerely hope that you will be able to solve this obvious problem.
Nice AVI, Eva, thank you.
We'll continue to test the performance between them, because we want to upgrade to SDK 7.1, and we try to disable the property "extendedrangerecognition" when tracking the image, we will report the continuous results. Thank you for your effort.