Start a new topic

iOS + Unity + Metal

I understand Wikitude on iOS only supports OpenGL ES2. Unfortunately for my AR application I am required to use Metal. Will Metal support be coming soon?

Also, we do not use any of Wikitude's rendering features. We're using the SDK for object tracking alone (we do not display the camera preview in our app). Would it be possible to strip the OpenGL-specific pieces so we can use Metal for our rendering?

Hi,

I apologize for the late reply.

As I've said, the SDK uses OpenGL internally and when using Unity, it relies on the plugin to setup the context correctly, including which version of OpenGL ES to use. If Unity would run on Metal, this setup process will most likely fail. However, we already added support for OpenGL ES 3 in the previous release, and Metal support is currently in development.

Best regards,
Alexandru

iirc iOS allows you to use OpenGL and Metal simultaneously as long as you don't need to share resources. I'd assume since the only thing being sent to Unity are transform positions you'd be able to continue to use OpenGL and allow Unity to use Metal. Is there a way I could get that working with the current SDK?

Max

Hi,

We are currently working on adding support for OpenGL ES 3 and Metal, but I cannot specify an exact release date.

Even if the camera frame is not rendered to the screen, we still use OpenGL internally for other things.

Best regards,

Alexandru

Login or Signup to post a comment