Start a new topic
Solved

CustomCameraPlugin with javascript rendering

Hi,

My goal is to use the wikitude SDK to render 3D object on an image target (using the javascript for android could be very nice), but I need to control the camera by myself. I've seen that controlling the camera is possible in the CustomCamera Plugins API sample, but in this sample the rendering is done in a native way.. Is it possible to use the ARchitectView in combination with a native api ?

Thanks

Hello Laurent,

As you already mentioned with you can take control of the camera with the CustomCamera Plugins API that is available both on our Javascript API as well as our Native API.

Thanks
Eva

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen the CustomCamera sample in the javascript SDK, but it looks the same as the one in the native SDK, and renders an orange rectange natively. Is it possible to let the javascript framework render a 3D object that has been setup in the studio ? If so, could you explain a bit how to achieve it ?

Thanks

If in the CustomCamera example I change the method requestsInputFrameRendering to return true, the SDK should render the camera frames and augmented object, right ?
I tried this but I get a green screen, nothing is rendered..

Hi Laurent,

The green screen you are describing when requestsInputFrameRendering is returning true is a known issue introduced with SDK 6.0 on android. This will be fixed in one of the next releases. 

What you can do until this is fixed is render the camera image yourself.

You are right about our custom camera sample. It renders everything natively.

This is used to show the possibilities you have with the input plugins API but it is also possible to use the ARchitectView to render drawables(e.g. 3D models).

This is also independent of the requestsInputFrameRendering return value. 

To see how you can display a 3D model on a target image in the ARchitectView take a look at the 3D model sample code and the 3D model documentation. You can then apply this to your ARchitectView.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.
I'll render the frame natively until the bug is fixed.
Everything is clear for me now, I'll use the javascript SDK in combination with a native input plugin to
control the camera, and a java plugin to get tracking events.

Thanks for your support!

Regards,
Laurent

Hi,
The green screen issue doesn't seems to be fixed in the 6.0.1 release..
could you tell me in which release it will be corrected ?
Thanks

Hi Laurent,

the InputPlugin color rendering issue is planned to be resolved with release 6.1..

This issue causes wrong colors to be rendered but you should not get a completely green screen.

Please make sure to set the input frame size during 'initialize' of the plugin by using   

getFrameSettings().setInputFrameSize({width, height});

Best Regards,

Alex

Hi,
Thanks for replying.
I can't get it working.. just changing requestsInputFrameRendering return value to true in SDKPluginExample, and the entire screen is green...
setInputFrameSize is called in the example (from onInputPluginInitialized method)..
Regards

Hi Laurent,

If you are using the code from our CustomCameraActivity from the sample app you need to move the setFrameSize call outside of the runOnUiThread block otherwise it will be set to late for internal rendering.

Best Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,
Ok, after moving the setFrameSize outside of the runOnUiThread and commenting the render() method call in the YUVFrameInputPlugin.cpp, I have a better result..
One thing I can't figure out: the rendering starts with a blinking screen (green/black), and the rendering effectively starts only after tapping the screen, but I can't find any ontouch code in the activity.. Can you explain this behaviour ? (Still using CustomCamera sample)
Thanks

Laurent

Hi Laurent,

It is expected that the InputPlugin starts with a short black screen, what is not expected is that the rendering is starting only after tapping the screen. 

I have never experienced this behaviour. 

Did you only change the YUVFrameInputPlugin.cpp and the position of the setFrameSize in the CustomCameraActivity?

With Release 6.1. we are also introducing a new simple InputPlugin sample which uses a custom camera to get the frames and lets the Wikitude SDK render it.

It seems like this is exactly what you want to accomplish.

Best Regards,

Alex

Hi,

Yes, that's the only things I changed..

When do you plan to release the 6.1 ?

In fact I need to control the camera because:
- I need to set the focus area
- I need to control autofocus
- I need to take a high resolution picture (not just a preview frame grabing)
but thoses features are lacking in camera control api... If you add this types of controls in the camera control api, I wont need an input plugin anymore.. Do you plan to add more controls over the camera in next releases ?

thanks

Hi Laurent,

The 6.1 release is planned for the end of march.

You can download and try a pre-release version of it here.

Please note that this is not a final version.

The camera controls you need will not be supported with 6.1..

We do not have those features on our roadmap yet, so we can’t provide any details on if/when this feature will be implemented

Best Regards,

Alex

Login or Signup to post a comment