Start a new topic
Solved

Wikitude SDK - Trying to find out where you are

Hi, 

I'm curently trying to create my own AR app with POI for a school project, so I used the Android Studio SDK.

The problem is that I get a " Trying to find out where you are" error message when I launch my app.

My location service is enabled and my app doesn't appear in "Recent Location Requests" setting.

Here is the error I get (I use the screen from a previous topic I found).

And because I'm not confident about my project structure, here it is:

Don't hesitate to ask me questions for further details, and, please,pardon my English as it's not my mother tongue.

Thank god, someone with the same issue as me, I've been stuck on this for a month and a half, and was not able to get a solution from the support team. I am currently downloading the source code to test it, hope it was a problem on my behalf. Thanks Théo!! :)

Hello Paul,

Since we always want to improve our support could you kindly report what was the issue you were having and why the the answer provided in a previous forum post was not working for you, stating:

"On Android the Wikitude SDK does not implement a location strategy to trigger location updates. This means that you have to implement this yourself. There are two ways that you can do that. The first one is by passing the location to the SDK by calling architectView.setLocation(). A sample implementation can be found in the AbstractArchitectCamActivity. The second way is by using Google Location services. This is a documentation provided by Google demonstrating how to make your app location aware. In addition, you can refer to the code on github here regarding GoogleSamples with android play location and in this specific one regarding location updates."

If you were looking for specific sample code then unfortunately the support team cannot provide code based on use cases but only the code that is already on our standard samples.

Thanks,
Eva

Was just look for sample code that I would be able to run one of the geolocation examples. I did not fully understand how to use the location provider methods. I will make this clear on my post.

Thanks,

-Paul.

Hi Théo,

I have been experimenting with some of the code you have provided, it seems to be working okay, except the image for the markers are not showing up on screen. The radar shows up but no markers show on that either. It detects the locations and notifies at the bottom of the screen, but the images for the markers do not appear.

Can you advice any any ways to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

-Paul.

I have the same issue... it always appears "trying to find out where you are". 
Can you tell me your steps to make the app work?

Thanks, 
Luís

Hello Luis,

Did you also try with our sample to see if it is working? Please read the whole forum post and you will find the answer here.

Thanks
Eva

Hi Eva,

I am new to android and wikitude, I am working on application which uses wikitude sdk to augment POIs.

1. I made my own app, now I want to use wikitude functionality in it.

2. I made changes in manifest and gradle, included library for using wikitude.

3. I created assets folder and pasted the folder from wikitude SDK samples, named POI with labels.

Now my app is running, activity for wikitude is loading, camera is working, 

problem is i am getting symbol showing "trying to find your location".

All permissions are given, internet is on but still.

Please tell me did i need to make any changes in code or i skipped any step.

The sample app you have provided is working fine on the same setup.; Please respond urgently as I am facing a deadline and found no other place to resolve this issue.

Hi,

Could you please provide the following details:

- Which version of the SDK are you using?
- Confirm that you’re using the JS API
- Are you using any of our Extensions (Cordova, Xamarin, Unity)? If yes, which version are you using
- what device does this happen with
- is this happening with the sample app as well? If it happens with your own app, does the sample app work on your device.

In general this error message indicates that the location of the user can't be fetched and some permissions or setup for GeoAR is not done as expected or you're trying on a device without the needed sensors.

Thx and greetings

Nicola

Thanks Nicola for the response. I resolved the issue. It was happening cause I hadn't set up the location provider in my app. Borrowed the code from the sample app and now it works fine.

Login or Signup to post a comment