Start a new topic
Solved

Images Rotating - Orientation Tag being ignored?

Hello,

I am using Wikitude Studio and have an issue with a few of my images.  It appears that the orientation tag might be ignored, however I have two other images where the orientation tag seems to be respected.  I have tried rotating the image in an editor, but it still always shows up in landscape mode instead of portrait.

Any idea what could be going on here?  I've attached the image which is being rotated.

Many thanks for your help.

Edward

Target04.JPG
(1000 KB)

Hello Edward,

when you say 'orientation tag' do you mean the orientation in the native application? Or are you talking about the rotation of an augmentation?

Regards,

Christian

Hello Christian,

I am referring to the orientation tag in the JPG file.  I am no expert in this, and am taking my information from the page http://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

Best Regards,

Edward

Hello Edward,

Unfortunately we do not support the exif orientation metadata of the image file. In order to set the rotation to your desire you'd need to rotate the full image instead of setting the flag.

Best regards,

Christian

Hello Christian,

When shown on my desktop and in my graphic editor, the image is in Portrait.  It is only when I load it into Wikitude that it goes into Landscape.  I suspect that I need to remove the tag, but have no idea how that is done. 

Best Regards,

Edward

I guess you are talking about an upload of the image as a target image. I can reproduce that. In fact it wouldn't change anything for the recognition part, but of course it's not very convenient. We'll have a look at it and come back to you as soon as we know more about the issue.

Thank's Chris

According to the metadata following values are set:

Pixel Dimension X: 3264, Pixel Dimension Y: 2448

When I save the image to a new file, those values are flipped.

Pixel Dimension X: 2448Pixel Dimension Y: 3264

If this doesn't work for you, just google 'jpg edit exif data' and you will find plenty of tools which offer manipulating the metadata.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the info.  I tried to fix this but wasn't successful.  I am going to leave it as is.  This was done for a product review and many - but not all - AR CMS tools have the same behaviour as Wikitude.

Best Regards,

Edward

If you need this specific image I can send you the portrait version.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Naw.  For purposes of the review I either have to tell readers how to fix it (which I haven't been able to do) or indicate simply that "that's what the tool does".

Best Regards,

Edwward

Hello Edward,

Ok. Just one last hint: you could try it with gimp or Paint.Net. I know that it works with Photoshop.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Super!  Gimp did the trick.  It even noticed the rotation and prompted for the correction.

Many thanks!

Edward

Great! I'm glad it worked :)

Login or Signup to post a comment