Start a new topic

Black Screen in Camera View Epson SDK

Black Screen in Camera View Epson SDK

2 people have this problem

I am using the Wikitude Epson sdk with Android Studio. When I run a custom app or the Wikitude example apps that uses the camera I get a black screen instead of the camera displaying. The augmented reality portion still works though and I don't get any run errors. I have checked to make sure I have all the correct permissions in Manifest. I read the other forum posts, but none of them seemed to have any code work arounds or fixes for this problem. Any suggestions would be greately appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Mariah,

we will release a major upgrade for Epson SDK tomorrow, which will bring the Epson SDK to version 5.2.0, which then also includes native support for Android Studio Maybe it is worth waiting for tomorrow and give it a try then, with a brand new version :)

Philipp,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I downloaded the Epson 5.2.0 SDK this morning and it appears to be having the same problem with the camera being black. The camera light is green on the glasses though and I still see no other errors. This happens for both sample wikitude apps and the custom app. Odly, I tried the Android sdk version 4.1.1 and the camera worked perfectly fine, but I am trying to use the epson sdk. Perhaps this could give you some insight on a possible solution for the problem.

I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Thank you.

Hi Mariah,

rendering no camera image but instead a black image is intended behaviour for the Epson SDK. Black is rendered transparent in the glasses, so you have a real augmented reality experience. So when you run your experience on the BT-200 and not an Android smartphone the experience will look nice. If you want to display the the camera stream you can try to work with the standard Android SDK but will lose the Epson specific features (like calibration, 3D mode and see-thru rendering)

Philipp,

The black screen I am seeing is solid non transparent. I can't see the real world past the screen. All I see is the trial watermark. Is there some way to make the black screen transparent?

Thank you. I appreciate your assistance and quick replies.

Hi Mariah,

what you describe is a limitation of the Epson Moverio BT-200, they can't display true transparency and because of this they define black as "transparent" as it is closest to transparency. If you want to have true transparency you could take a look at the Epson Moverio BT-300.

If you want to render the camera on your BT-200 glasses you can use the Wikitude Android SDK for your Epson app. The current Wikitude Android SDK version on the donwload page only supports Android 4.1.0+ but this will be lowered to 4.0.0. You will be able to get a Wikitude Android SDK working on the BT-200 from the developer release channel by the end of this week.

Best regards
Alex
Login or Signup to post a comment