Start a new topic

Best practice scaling model

Best practice scaling model

Hi! 

Could you please give us some best practices how to scale model from fbx to wt3 econder for image recognition? fbx is usually in meters

I tried with the "grid" method (the model should big as a square of the grid), but it seems it doesn't work

Or, do you have any exemple to download/try? I have an architectural model of a building, so large dimensions in the real world.

Thanks

Hi,

We do not have any sample on how to scale the model, this is something that you have to do programmatically. However, if it helps you can refer to the information provided below and see if that helps you.

"The 3D model will be rendered with default size. Scaling the model allows you to control the size of the 3D model. When using the Wikitude 3D Encoder you can roughly estimate the size of the 3D model. If your 3D model fits into the square with the dimension 1 unit in the 3D Encoder as shown in the image below you can use 1 as value for 3D Model Scale. If your model uses 2 grid units, you need to set the value to 0.5 and so on."

Ok thanks, perfect! That is how I intented tu be the "grid" method, which is fine! 

What about my model uses about 50 times the grid unit? Should I scale it in my modeling environment?

Thanks

Paolo 

Hi,

Yes you should scale it to your working environment as well.

Thank you

This model is 7m by 10.5m, I think I had to put 1/7=0.15 but no model appear :-(

Any idea?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq17p7uir20n8uo/Screenshot%202016-04-14%2014.07.03.png?dl=0

Paolo 

Hello,

From what it looks like the size of the 3D model is what is causing your issue. I would suggest you scale it down to even smaller dimensions and see if the issue remains. May I ask which encoder version you are using and if you are testing your application with the sample app or with the Wikitude app?

Thank you

Hello

Thanks for your reply. Already tried with smaller dimension and different value of scale (if you tell me very verry small, no I didn't try, please tell me and I will do).

Encoder / last version

Wikitude app in developer mode

Thanks

P

Hi,

I would suggest that you first try and scale it down to a very small size and see if you can then see your 3D model. Since you are working with our latest 3D encoder you should also keep in mind that for the new wt3 that you will create with the latest version of the 3D encoder you also have to use the latest SDK version. Therefore, if you see that the size does not solve your issue then please send over the details of the SDK version you are using.

Thank you

Sorry for the basic question. I don't have access to SDK, does it work with Wikitude Studio?

I will try reducing size

Thanks

Any good result scaling the model

box, 1x1x1 m

box, 0.1x0.1x0.1 m

box, 0.01x0.01x0.01 m

Images still work fine 

Thanks

Paolo
Login or Signup to post a comment