Start a new topic

ArchitectView is null

ArchitectView is null

1 person has this problem

I am a rookie and I am trying to use wikitude for the first time. I am using Android Studio. In the main layout.xml, I have the following lines of code:

<LinearLayout xmlns:android=""

<com.wikitude.architect.ArchitectView android:id="@+id/architectView" android:layout_width="fill_parent" android:layout_height="fill_parent"/>

In the mainactivity, on create, i am using the following lines of code:

this.architectView = (ArchitectView) findViewById(;
final StartupConfiguration config = new StartupConfiguration(key);
Boolean test = ArchitectView.isDeviceSupported(this);

The runtime is not able to render the architectView. Please can you hint what I am missing? I have added wikitudesdk.arr file in the libs and also added the following lines of code in the build.gradle file

apply plugin: ''

android {
compileSdkVersion 23
buildToolsVersion "23.0.0"

defaultConfig {
applicationId "com.example.hariprasauthr.arwiki"
minSdkVersion 19
targetSdkVersion 23
versionCode 1
versionName "1.0"
buildTypes {
release {
minifyEnabled false
proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), ''

dependencies {
compile fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: )
compile (name: 'wikitudesdk', ext:'aar')
compile ''

repositories {
dirs 'libs'

Please check the Android set-up guide to get details on how to set-up the sample app and/or your own app. For details on how to work with Android Studio, please check here.

Thanks for the response, Nicola. I did start the set up with that guide. As mentioned in my post, I have done all the steps mentioned and would like to know if I have missed something. 

Hi Hariprasauth,

you need to set the ContentView to the layout file containing the architectView before you use findViewById to retrieve the ArchitectView instance.

Please take a look at the Android Example Application to see a full working setup. ( and

Best regards,
Login or Signup to post a comment