Start a new topic

3D AR app on mobile

3D AR app on mobile

hi,

I am researching the development of a 3D AR app on tablet (iOS or Android).

I've looked at Unity and Adobe AIR, but also wonder if Wikitude is able to do what I want to achieve,

which is projecting a 3D model of say 50.000 polygons on a marker and configuring/animating the model.

With configuring I mean switching textures/materials. 

Would the performance be any good? Are there any examples out there that show this sort of app?

Is it possible to translate a model along multiple markers, where their position and orientation defines the path the model should follow?

thanks!

Jeff.

Hello Jeff,

I can't really tell you an exact number of polygons that perform well on the device because the performance is very much device dependent. I tested models that contained 500.000 polygons and I didn't have any performance issues. It's not just the higher number polygons that could decrease the performance but also the texture sizes. If you are using extremely high resolution textures you can experience performance issues as well.

Switching textures/materials on the fly is currently not possible.

You can find a car.wt3 model file in the SDK which contains about 12.500 vertices. There are two possibilities how you can create an AR experience with your own 3d model for checking the performance on the device of your choice:

register as a Wikitude Developer and use the Wikitude Studio for creating an AR experience. You can easily create it by defining a target image, drag&drop a 3d model on the target image and preview it on the device with the Wikitude World Browser app (Android/iOS)

or create a test project with the trial version of our SDK and use the full power of JS/HTML.

You can create our wt3 model format by encoding dae or fbx files with our Wikitude3dEncoder.

It is possible to translate a model by using PropertyAnimations. You can also animate the model itself and play the animation by using the JavaScript functions.

Here is a link to our documentation page where you can find tutorials and samples in case you would like to use the SDK.

Hope that helps,

Christian
Login or Signup to post a comment