Start a new topic

Phonegap Wikitude Limitations

Phonegap Wikitude Limitations

Hi All,

Hope you can help me out on this. I'm planning to develop an AR Prototype App and since I'm very new with Phonegap and Wikitude SDK. I just want to know what are the limitations of using plainly the Phonegap plugin in Wikitude SDK in developing an AR app?

I have some of the functionalities that I would like to include in the development. Please let me know if these functionalities/features can be done.

Video Overlay

Audio Overlay

Activate game - will be creating a simple game using web based scripting

360 photo/image

file download - if this is possible, what file formats can be used for this?

Audio input to activate Video Overlay

Looking forward to your responses. Appreciate it a lot.

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Hi Jeru,

Sounds like a promising project. Please find answers below.

Video Overlay
Currently only full-screen videos are possible. Rendering a video on a target is a feature of an upcoming version but nothing to be released within this quarter

Audio Overlay
AR.Sound can be used to play audio in your experience. This enables background music and e.g. a click-noise on button press.

Activate game - will be creating a simple game using web based scripting
Wikitude?s commands are a JS extension. The experience is written in JS and can then be executed on a so called ARchitectView, which is defined per supported platform. You therefore don?t need to re-implement your project.

360 photo/image
Panorama pictures are not part of our SDK, you may need to use other plugins to e.g. launch native camera application with 360 feature.

file download - if this is possible, what file formats can be used for this?
There are some plugins that allow you to download assets and store them on. Have a look at the existing plugins in the phonegap git.

Audio input to activate Video Overlay
As this is not AR related, this is also no feature in our SDK, you may use system feature for voice recognition.

Note: Wikitude?s PhoneGap plugin is hosted on github and will soon update to PhoneGap 3.0 with plugman support. If you need an upfront version urgently don?t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thanks! That was really helpful.

By the way, I still do have some questions.

Is it possible to do a content/text(w/ links in it) overlay? 

Also a social media integration for sharing?

That's all.

Thank you very much again. Really appreciate it.

Regards,

Hi There!

In our SDK we have a class called AR.HtmlDrawable, which allows you to integrate and visualize any HTML content in your AR experience that you would like. This includes your given use cases such as content with links. I may refer you to our SDK documentation to get some more details about the functionality of this class.

As our SDK provides functionality to communicate between the JS and native World you can as well integrate any social media API that you would like..

Hope that helps

Markus 

Is there any news about this 

Video Overlay
Currently only full-screen videos are possible. Rendering a video on a target is a feature of an upcoming version but nothing to be released within this quarter

Thanks

Hi Roberto,

Video Drawables are part of the Wikitude SDK since version 3.2 (mid October 2013).

Hi Philipp,

i've tried to insert it (i'm using the video.mp4 from your examples) but every time i try to play it i see an error(1, -12) on the console.

I'm using a Samsung Tab 10" with Android 4.1.1

Have you got any idea?

Can you post the source code where you are starting the video. Where does the error appear? Can you try to play the video in your native video player? Does that work?

I create the object with these lines:

this.video = new AR.VideoDrawable("assets/video.mp4", 0.5, {

offsetX: -1,

offsetY: -1

});

I put this object in a marker:

this.markerObject = new AR.GeoObject(markerLocation, {

onEnterFieldOfVision:  Marker.prototype.onEnterFieldOfVision(this),

onExitFieldOfVision: Marker.prototype.onExitFieldOfVision(this),

drawables: {

cam: ,

indicator: this.directionIndicatorDrawable,

radar: this.radardrawables

}

});

And i start play it when i click on a marker with this line:

marker.video.play(-1);

If i start it with the AR.context.startVideoPlayer it works well.

I see that error on the Eclipse Logcat Console.

Scanning over the code I don't see anything wrong with it. One thing to try is defining the onError trigger for the video to see if there is any additional error information available.

e.g.

this.video = new AR.VideoDrawable("assets/video.mp4", 0.5, {
offsetX: -1,
offsetY: -1,
onError: function(msg) {alert(msg);}
});

You mentioned that you tested this on an Samsung Tab 10" with Android 4.1.1. Is this the only device you are testing with? Would it be possible to test the same app on a different device?
Login or Signup to post a comment