Start a new topic

iOS 10, Geo POI <-> Motion Detection Problem

iOS 10, Geo POI Motion Detection Problem

Hi Farshid,

With our SDK 6.0.0 you shouldn't have any worse experience in geo ar worlds as with 5.x. Can you record and share some comparison videos so that I know about what we exactly talk about?

Best regards,

Andreas

1 person likes this

Hi Farshid,

Apple fixed the CMMotionManager issues in iOS 10.1 and later. Our Wikitude iOS SDK JS SDK already supports switching between gyro and accelerometer/compass since iOS 10.1 was released.

Which iOS and Wikitude SDK version are you using?

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I'm using iOS 10.2 as my target and Wikitude SDK 6.0.0.

Thanks,

Farshid

Hi,

I have just upgraded our project to be compatible with iOS 10 and used the latest version Javascript SDK 5.3. The project use extensively Geo POI features and being capable of pinpointing with great precision the POI position on screen is very important.

However, there is critical problem with motion detection at the moment. Whenever a rotate the iPhone or iPad to check nearby POI, POIs on screen stays more or less at the same position (on screen). Basically it seems there is an issue with the accelerometer with the iOS10 wikitude SDK. Visually It almost looks like as if relative positioning was used.

Knowing that the code has not changed from SDK 5.2 to SDK 5.3, can you tell me if it is a known issue, or if there is some change in the code we need to apply?

Thanks. 

Hi Yannick,
iOS 10 has some major issues with a class called 'CMMotionManager'. This class is responsible for delivering gyro sensor values (Please also refer to our release notes). 
Because of this we had to 'downgrade' our iOS SDK to use a different combination of device sensors in order to make geo AR working at all. Unfortunately this results in more unstable pois.

Apple will fix this in a later version of iOS 10. Until then there is nothing we can do about this. Here is a link to the open Apple bug reporting platform.

Sorry for the bad news ;(

Best regards,

Andreas

Hi there!

Has this been resolved in Wikitude's new SDK and/or iOS 10?

Thanks,

Login or Signup to post a comment