Start a new topic

Image Recognition flexibility

Image Recognition flexibility

Hello,

I want to regonize the hand in front of the camera. For this I am using this image. Unfortunately, the recognition works only when I point the camera to that specific picture - even my own hand (in the same background) in more-or-less the same position is not recognized.

1. How can other hands be recognized? How flexible is the image recognition algorithm?

2. Is it possible to somehow ignore the back-ground? I tried removing the target image background (white or transparent) with no luck (here and here)...

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes as our SDK is optimized for 2D image recognition and does not offer any specific gesture recognition the image/hand you scan needs to be like the image you've used for recognition. You could discard the background - e.g. cut the image that only hand fits - but still if e.g. the image for recognition was taken  with an 'open' hand and the hand scanned is closed with the fingers together it won't be recognized.

Using our Plugins API you can try to integrate a gesture recognition library. This API allows you to integrate 3rd party libraries with our SDK. Please check the samples and the tech docu for the further details.

Greetings

Nicola

Thanks for the answer!

I do not want to recognize any gestures... Only that a hand - and by hand I mean ANY hand with ANY background - is opened (which is in the end an image of an opened hand).

My problem is that the Image Recognition algorithm recognizes ONLY that specific image that was used to generate the WTC (tracker) file.

Any best practices for this use case?

Thanks again!

Ah ok - so in this case gesture recognition is not suiable. But the use case would only be possible if you find a suitable 3rd party librrary that recognzed the hand and integrate it togehte with our Plugins API.

Greetings

Nicola

Thanks!

Some questions:

1. is there a full sample on Plugins API - the documentation is not detailed?

2. Are Plugins supported in Xamarin or only purely native? I cannot find any method in Xamarin SDK related to Plugins.

3. Asuming I can get the hand recognized by a 3rd party component, is there (a/another) way to display an object (e.g. ARModel or Drawable) over the camera stream? Now, a tracker (e.g. ClientTracker) is used to do the recognition and then a Trackable2DObject to link the tracker to the object to display (using cam). Is there a way to just say 'draw this object when some variable is true'? 

Thanks!

Hi,

1. The best way to start is to check out the sample app which comes with the SDK download package together with the respective documentation section. There are samples for the Plugins API available in the JS and Native API and the Unity Extension.

2. See above - the Plugins API is not available in the Xamarin Extension

3. You can only display content if a predefined image/object is recognized.

Greetings

Nicola
Login or Signup to post a comment