Start a new topic

Add AR content to 3D tracking map (wtm file)

Add AR content to 3D tracking map (wtm file)

Hi All,

I have been testing the new 3D Tracking feature on Android native SDK. After creating a 3D tracking map (wtm file), what are the available approaches to add AR content onto it ?

1) Is there a GUI such as Wikitude Studio for us to open a wtm file and graphically add AR content onto it ?

2) Does the SDK support programatically opening and showing the contents of a wtm file so that we can create a GUI which allows users to add AR content into it ?

What i'm working on is to create an Android app which allows users to create a 3D tracking map and add AR content onto it using a GUI in the app itself.

Thanks !

Hi,

To anwer your questions:

1) no the is currently no GUI for working with .wtm files.

2) you'll manually need to position the augmentations as we don't offer a tool for this.

Greetings

Nicola

Thanks for the info. Is there a way/method in the SDK to position an augmentation in a specific place on the 3D map ?

Hi,

Yes - you'll need to implement it. Please check the 3D tracking sample in our Native SDK sample app.

Greetings

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Thanks. I'll check on it.

On a different note, is the file format used in .wtm files open or is it propriotery/binery ?

Thanks in advance

Hi!

The file format that we use is a proprietary one and cannot be viewed.

thx,

Markus
Hi Markus,

Thanks ! I have scanned the surface of a table (including a few items in the back ground) and created a map. I want to augment an object on the table surface (in a free area). Is there a straightforward way to get the coordinates where I can position the AR object ?

I am asking this because in the case of a 2D trackable, we can always use wikitude studio to position AR content. I'm just trying to do the same for a 3D trackable

Thanks !

Hi,

I have downloaded  the 3D tracking sample( Native SDK iOS)  and created the .wtm file.  But I don't know how  can I  load a .wtm file for tracking.?

Thanks,

Tarun Kumar

Hi Tarun,

You need to program that on your side. If you wish, you can have a look at our samples at 3D tracking Map and see how we do it here.

Thanks

That link does not work anymore. May you be clearer on how to load the wtm file?

Hi Gino,

That link was from a previous documentation that included the 3D object recognition. As 3D object recognition was in a beta phase we have removed it from our new documentation. However, if you wish to work with 3D recognition then you can test our new feature, Instant Tracking, introduced with our SDK 6.

Thanks
Eva

Thanks for your rapid answer. My problem is that I need the user is in an exact place looking towards an exact point (i.e. a place in the real world with some characteristics previously 3d-tracked). I really appreciate Instant Tracking, but it seems not to be suitable for my use case.

Is there a way to start Instant Tracking when a 3D model is recognized? (I think no, it seems to be a nonsense)

If not, will you support 3D Tracking in a stable release of your framework (maybe also in the JS framework)? I'm asking this because we really need a good replacement for Metaio, and your 3D Tracking seems to be a feasible solution for our needs.

Hi Gino,

What you describe as a use case is kind of a combination between Instant Tracking and 3D Object Recognition. So this is not possible. I totally understand how eager you are for a 3D Tracking Recognition feature. I can tell you that this is added on our roadmap and it will come out as a stable release this year.

Thanks
Eva

Login or Signup to post a comment