Start a new topic

Android 4.4 - Problems with radar and POIs

Android 4.4 - Problems with radar and POIs

Hello everyone, 

Yesterday my Nexus 4 upgraded to Android 4.4 and my wikitude app stopped working (everything worked well on 4.3, and even on firts run on 4.4). The problem is that radar is not showing POI-s, or even north indicator image. To be precise, everything shows for a few seconds (during which the whole radar flickers fast, with north indicator and POI-s shown), and then only background is shown. POI-s aren't shown on the screen at any point. This can all be reproduced in wikitude example 5.2 Adding Radar. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance, 

Pedja
Hi there,
Could you please try reinstalling the sdk samples app. I guess the issue is related to the "optimize apps for Android 4.4" option that is provided right after upgrading to KitKat. Please let us know if that solves the issue, we'll then dig deeper.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Hi Andreas, thank you for your response. Reinstalling didn't help, still the same problem. I've tried out the whole example app, everything seems to work except examples with POIs (oh, and Solar System (Geo) doesn't work). I've attached a screen recording of radar flickering, hope it will help in narrowing down the problem. Let me know if there is anything else I could do to help the debugging.

Thanks, Pedja.

Hi there!

We tested on our Nexus 4 with KitKat and could not reproduce the issue.
Are you using the app from the apk-folder in the SDK samples project?
Could you please also describe what exactly does not work in the Solar System (Geo) demo?

Kind Regards,
Andreas

I tried installing it from apk folder, and running it from IDE, with same results. In Solar System (Geo) demo, the solar system isn't displayed anywhere, just empty camera view with wikitude logo at bottom left. Also, Wikitude app from Google Play behaves the same, POIs not displayed anywhere. Since you can't reproduce it, I wonder what could be specific to my device? it's almost new (bought two weeks ago), with stock Android 4.2 upgraded to 4.3, then to 4.4 (maybe that has something to do with the issue?). Could I somehow debug the issue on my side?

Pedja

Hi Pedja,

Could you please make a screenshot of your device information and send it to android (at) wikitude (dot) com? Build number etc. (IMEI not necessary). Maybe issue only occurs on latest Nexus 4 devices in certail region.

Concerning the Solar System sample: This is very strange behavior too, do you see at least the blue arrow indicating the direction of the sun?
Do you have any location spoofers installed on your device? Does restarting the device cause any changes?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Hi Andreas, 

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but after restarting the device everything works. Don't know why I didn't try this sooner, especially because my app worked first time I tried it after android upgrade, and failed on later runs. On the positive side, maybe someone having the same issue will find this thread helpful, and also now you know this can happen. Sorry for wasting your time on this, and thank you for your help. 

Pedja

Thank you so much for the last answer. I had the same problems, even I started to change my code! However, I only restarted my phone, and as you said, it works!

Thank you again for your help

Cintya
Login or Signup to post a comment