Start a new topic

Points of interest frozen

Points of interest frozen

Hi,

I was very seriously considering buying the SDK for both iOS and Android. I checked out the Wikitude app on Android and it worked flawlessly, on iOS, however, it's another story. As soon as I go into Favorites/Around Me, the POIs get drawn and freeze: I move the phone and neither them nor the radar at the top-left corner move, they're stuck where they were first placed.

I then downloaded version 3.2 of the SDK and tried running any of the POIs samples in the example app, with a similar result: both the POIs and the radar freeze if I make the slightest move before everything's fully drawn (the only way to get it working is to hold the phone perfectly still while the sample's loading). The Refresh button doesn't help either: it does in fact trigger a redraw, but everything remains fixed in place after that happens. I can repro the same behaviour in the Native Detail Screen sample, just by tapping the More option (which takes you to a, supposedly, native screen) on the Detail of a POI (even while holding the phone steady).

So I'm guessing that this has something to do with native/camera/native transitions.

Can you repro this? Can I provide you with more information (maybe logs)? Do you see a workaround I could implement on top of the SDK? Or even better, an update :) I'm using an iPhone 5 with iOS 6. I really look forward to being able to solve this and then buying the SDK!

Thanks

Hi Gabriel,

we do know that there is a Apple bug in the Gyroscope implementation which can result in 'freezing' pois. You can verify this issue by downloading e.g. a compass application from the AppStore and check if it's working or not. You may also try to restart your device and check if the problem still exists. 

Best regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your answer. There may be a bug with the Gyroscope, but I strongly believe this is an issue with the Wikitude engine. I tried restarting the device (once more, because I had already done so) to no avail, same results. I downloaded another app (the first I found on the AppStore), CheckIn+: https://itunes.apple.com/app/checkin/id435939015 and it works perfectly on my iPhone.

I created a short (4m) video so you can see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHN2uJTFs2c

Notice how, in the SDK examples, I can easily repro the issue just by moving the device while Wikitude is drawing. Another thing I can do to freeze de POIs with 100% probability of success, is to go to the "native detail" of a POI. The Wikitude app itself does not work at all.

Thanks for your time. Regards,

Gabriel

Can you verify that the issue is only on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6 or do you experience it on more devices?

Best regards

Andreas

I also tried on an iPhone 5 and on an iPhone 4S, both running iOS 7, and the Wikitude app (couldn't try the SDK examples) worked fine. Unfortunately, I don't have another iPhone 5 (or any model) with iOS 6 to see if it is a problem with my device or Wikitude/iOS 6; perhaps you do and can test ont it?

Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 either but we will have a look to reproduce the issue on one of our devices so that we can find a solution.

Best regards

Andreas
Login or Signup to post a comment