Start a new topic

"Jumping" 3D models on 2D trackable image

"Jumping" 3D models on 2D trackable image

Hi there,

I have a scene with a Trackable2DObject which loads a 3D model on top of it when enters field of vision. 

The problem is the 3D model tends to "jump" around (especially when moving the camera) as if Wikitude doesn't have a solid understanding of the orientation of the trackable image.

The image (here) is rated 2 stars and reports it should be good for tracking.

Any suggestions how to reduce this jumping?

Hi Boston,

thanks for your question and feedback.

Could you please post which device you are using for testing? Additionally, could you please test the following, optimized target collection for your image and report back if your 3D models appear more stable with it: http://goo.gl/SVuwG4

Best regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

The new tracker is a definite improvement! It will just jump occassionally if I move or rotate the target around, but generally it's quite good now.

What did you do to make it 3 stars?

I'm testing with Android Nexus 4, Phonegap + SDK 3.2

Hi,

I am glad to hear that it improved the tracking for you.

I did not alter the image at all, instead I created the target collection using an optimized version of the target management tool, which is currently under development and will be made public in the coming weeks.

In the mean time, in case you have other targets needing improvement I can offer to manually create an optimized target collection and send it over to you.

Best regards,

Nicolas

Awesome, good to know! 

Will the release be announced in the developer news page / email? Looking forward to getting access to it.

Also, is there anything you would recommend with the tracking image to improve it further or does it have all the necessary characteristics?

Your target image has good contrast and well distributed image structures and therefore it is already well suited for tracking.

Once the updated target management tool is released we will let you know either through our developer newsletter or twitter feed at https://twitter.com/Wikitude - feel free to follow us!

Best regards,

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Could you tell me if this new version of the image still gets 3 stars in the optimized target manager? I had to remove the text due to client request.

Old: http://cl.ly/image/3Z472Q1s2Y0s
New: http://cl.ly/image/3J233l010N2F

Could you also make a wtc file with both images?

Thanks,
Boston

Hi Boston,

the modified target without the text does track very well, too: http://goo.gl/KRYpnd

Best regards,

Nicolas 

Hi NIcolas,

I have a 3 star rating image which should track very well but is not recognised by the camera. Am just wondering where i missed something cause by the time i change the marker from the one provided in the sample, it doesnt work anymore

tnx

Hi Obari,

after changing the target collection (wtc file), you also need to change the target identifier, i.e. if your target image is named 'pageOne.jpg' then you need to specify the target ID 'pageOne' when creating the AR.Trackable2DObject.

var pageOne = new AR.Trackable2DObject(this.tracker, "pageOne", {    drawables: {       cam: overlayOne    } });

Can you please check if that target ID is set properly?

Best regards,

Nicolas

Hi, Nicolas,

I tried what u suggested but it did not work. I have uploaded the js file i am using and the images I converted to .wtc format

Please i really need this to be sorted and would appreciate your help

tnx

Hi,

I had a quick look at your targets and code.

The targets are suited for image recognition and will work all right.

In your video.js file you have defined the target ID to be "pageOne" on line 53 wich does not match the target name that you provided in your target collection (wtc file).

Like described in my post above you have to change the target ID on line number 53 to either "imageone" or "try" (matching the provided target names imageone.JPG or try.jpg) depending on which one you want to be recognized. It will work all right then.

Regards,

Nicolas

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I'd like to clearify some things. I have an image named try.jpg which I converted to best.wtc which I intend to use as the target to show the video. 

Which of these names am I to use to replace the pageOne in the code right now? I tried using try and best but it didn't work.

Or is it the name of the video that I am supposed to use?

Tnx...

Hi,

when creating an AR.Trackable2DObject you have to specify which specific target in your target collection you want to track by specifying its target ID.

The target ID is the image's filename minus the extension, i.e. if your target image is called " imageone.JPG" the according target ID will be "imageone".

In your particular case you would have to edit the video.js on line 53 and replace the reference to "pageOne" with "imageone". It should work all right then.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Nicolas
Login or Signup to post a comment