Start a new topic

Some PNGs rendered completely black.

Some PNGs rendered completely black.

Hi, 

I'm trying to get some sprites and animated sequences.  Sometimes, when I import a PNG, I get a completely black image in place of the PNG.  I am not sure what leads to this, but if I make the PNG progressively smaller, (in some situations), it'll start working once it is very small (about 1000 px by 80px, and 100kb).  This doesn't maket too much sense, as I have a 1 MB 3000 px by 500 px that works perfectly well.  Sometimes, using image magick to convert the PNG "fixes" it.  I've tried converting it to gif, but I still get a black image.  It seems completely random.  Is this a known issue? How can I fix it?

Hi,

there is only a certain amount of texture memory available. If you get black images, try to reduce the size and/or amount of image, text & htmldrawable you are putting into the AR scene. If you aren't requiring an AR.ImageResource anymore destroy it by calling .destroy(). This frees up the texture memory.

Since the image is extracted to an full RGBA image the texture size needed is soley dependend on the image size. Additinally some 3d hardware does not cope well with image sizes that are not a power of 2 (e.g. 32, 64, 128, ..) therefore each image uses the next power of two size.

If you can share more details on your usecase we might be able to where memory can be saved and ore reused.

Hi Wolfgang, 

I semi-solved it.  My image was very long (5000x50.  When I made it square instead (500x500), it worked.  Not sure why that would have any effect though. 

It couldn't have been the size in memory, I reduced the file to 34kb and it still wouldn't work.  Any other hints?

basically the 5000 image will be made to a size of 8192 pixels while with the 500 it only grows to a 512x512 image. 512x512 will take much less space.
Login or Signup to post a comment