Start a new topic

Configuring a new Wikitude World

Configuring a new Wikitude World

Hello! I am trying to create a new Wikitude World for my app.  I have set, predefined set of POIs that I want to use.  I have their name and GPS coordinates (~15-20). I have been looking at the documentation to create an ARML file to use to import to create my World.  One of the parameters in the ARML file is ar:provider and it is required.  Do I have to have my own web service provider to use Wikitude World? And if so, does Wikitude provide this service?  What is the best route to use (KML, ARML ARchitect Enginer) for such a small set of POIs?  What are the pros/cons?

Currently, I have created a KML file with these points and have loaded and created my Wikitude World.  However, when I go to the developer key: ziotalf in Wikitude app, It takes a really long time to load and when it finally does load, there are no points.  I clicked the radar and the distance is set at 0 km and I can't change this setting.  Any thoughts on what could be wrong?  Attached is my kml file.

I wanted my app to be very simple and basically the Browsing Pois: Poi Radar Wikitude 3.0 example is what I want my app to do.  Just a little help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks,
Heather

UPDATE: I have created my own KML file with everything I want.  I am able to finally see all the points that I loaded in the Wikitude app, but I have one question/issue.  I want to have an image assoicated with each POI.  Is there any way to add an image in the description?  I tried using the following:

<!> , and it would post the text but not the image.  Is there any way to do this using KML?  OR is there any way to have a different icon for each POI?  I really don't want all of the POIs to have the same icon.  PLEASE someone help.  My first post was 9 days ago with no reply.

Thanks,

Heather

Hi Heather,

what you are describing is currently not possible with KML. You need to either convert the content you have into ARML 1.0 (see http://openarml.org for details), or use our ARchitect engine.

For ARML, you can use wikitude:markerIconUrl element in the Placemark-element to define what image should appear on the marker of the POI. However, you cannot use images inside the description of the POI.

To embed images into the description of the POI, you would need to use our ARchitect framework, where you can define any HTML content to represent your POI, including images. Check http://developer.wikitude.com/documentation/html-css for details.

Best regards,

Martin

Thank you so much for your response.  With using ARML, what ar:provider could I use? Would that be the url to my world I created?  That was the only thing that really prevented me from using ARML in the first place.

Also, I tried uploading the example ARML file from the site previously into a Wikitude World.  However, it said that it was not a ARML file and to please check the syntax.  

Hi Heather,

the ar:provider describes your world. You can use any ID ("heathersWorld" for example), you just need to make sure you reference the exact same ID in each and every placemark.

The example on openarml.org uses the ID "mountain-tours-I-love.com", check how the ID is reused in each and every placemark.

The example works fine for me - please make sure you don't copy the line numbers in the XML, and you use a regulat text editor (do not use MS Word, it will add hidden information that causes invalid XML files) otherwise you'll get syntax errors.

Best,

Martin

Hi Martin, I'm already working out with ARML 1.0 and follow the guide that had been provided by Wikitude. But it seem doesn't work and there are syntax error. Could you check my work and tell me what is the wrong with my xml file.

Hi Huda,

Your file is not a valid XML file, it does not follow the syntax rules of XML (and hence ARML) files. You missed the closing /> on the <ar:provider> tag.

There are numerous XML Validation checkers online (for example here, as Nicola has already pointed out to you via mail) that will show you exactly what sytax errors you have. Feel free to pick your own validator on the net. The Wikitude API only accepts syntax-valid XML files.

I suggest to familiarize yourself with the basic principles of XML (you can find lots of courses online how to write proper XML files), we cannot give in-depth support on how to write proper XML files.

Best,

Martin
Login or Signup to post a comment